Harry Tredennick Cock's manuscript titled "Short History of The Royal Canadian Regiment, 1883-1933" is a valuable document from our Archive Collection that discusses the first 50 years of The Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR). This story focuses on The RCR’s service from 1919, just after the end of the First World War, to 1933, the 50th anniversary of the regiment. Cock was an officer in The RCR at the time.
TYPEWRITTEN MANUSCRIPT: "SHORT HISTORY OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN REGIMENT, 1883-1933"
DATE: December 1934
DONATED BY: Unknown
OBJECT ID: RCRM2013.043.092
During this time, The RCR resumed its pre-war duties as part of Canada’s Permanent Force (PF), which involved the instruction of the Canadian Militia through Royal Schools of Instruction and summer camps. In addition to instruction duties, the regiment took part in a variety of ceremonial events. Cock's manuscript highlights many of these occasions. Some of them are described in the text of the manuscript, while others are recorded only via photographs and supplemental documents. The manuscript also provides information on two of the places where Cock was stationed over the course of this period: St. Jean, Quebec and the historic Halifax Citadel.
While there is no major conflict that characterizes this period, it is nevertheless, an important era in The RCR's history. Cock sums up the importance of the regiment’s duties during this relatively peaceful time:
“It must, however, never be forgotten that the long periods of humdrum routine are those of character building and preparation for the great test when a nation, after all other means have failed, is reluctantly obliged to use force for some all-important cause…while the Regiment will be called upon to acquit itself, what is more important is, that the whole of the Land Forces of Canada will also be called upon for such as test. The success of Canadian Militia will depend greatly on its pre-war training. This heavy responsibility rests mostly on the Permanent Force of Canada of which the Regiment forms a part.”
H.T. Cock’s original typewritten writings on the period can be viewed by clicking the following images: